CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

HOL-AAA! One domestic triumph down

 This is what I really dislike about cannning.
 This too. Steamy & Hot & Sticky Mess
 This is what I love about canning! Oh the fruits of my labors.
This too. Fisher said "Mom, this is better than store bought" My heart is swooning


So, a day of canning. Gee, thanks dad for the tree full of pears, I couldn't be more excited!
I began the day peeling, peeling, and more peeling. After 12 qts of peeling (FYI it takes about 6-7 pears to fill 1 qt, that's mucho pears) I threw my hands in the air, threw the pears in 2 giant vats of boiling H2O and went the pear sauce route. Yeah for me and Yeah for Victorio Strainers. The saucing method was way faster and it is yummy. We had Pear Sauce, Pork Chops, and Potatoes for dinner. The PPP of dinners, and it was delish. I feel the need to comment on the other white meat here just for a moment. According to some, pork consumption is inappropriate for many reasons. One being the curious similarity of the pigs backside and a humans backside. Which I must confess, after attending the State Fair, this is entirely true. There is just something about Pear Sauce and Pork, a good pulled pork sandwich, and the like that makes me say,"I will consume." For you non-consumers,Kudos. As for the canning, I can now say "thanks dad for the tree of pears" with no sarcasm at all in my voice, plus i feel quite wealthy as I look on my 32 jars all lined up nicely in the food storage downstairs. Kids, please note that your mom loves you enough to can and remember this 30 years from now. Cheers.

2 comments:

Chambers Family said...

blogging and canning?!?!? You are an inspiration! Love you long time

Darci Buhl said...

Am I commenting enough? haha. I have a 40lb box of pears sitting on my counter as we speak and I'm dreading canning them. I really wanted pear slices but it sounds like a ton of work. Aren't the finished jars so pretty though? I almost don't want to eat them after I finish because it took so long to can them!